Saturday, September 14
08:30 AM - 12:00 PMSCCE's Annual Volunteer Project In additon to networking with your peers and listening to expert speakers, attending an SCCE Compliance & Ethics Institute gives you the opportunity to help a local area charity. Registration is free for this event and provides you with a volunteer t-shirt, lunch and transportation to and from the project location. It's a great way to start the CEI with fellow conference attendees, speakers, and SCCE board members.
Sunday, September 15
08:44 AM - 12:00 PMPre Conference Morning Session
08:45 AM - 10:15 AMBreakout Sessions#P01P1: Effective E&C Risk Management - Part 1: Framework, Program Essentials, and Core Practice Considerations Greg Triguba, Principal, Compliance Integrity Solutions Jim Urso, Assistant Vice President - Treasury SecOps & GRC, Federal Reserve IT
Risk 101#P02P2: Ethical Leadership Doesn't Happen Overnight, or Does It? I Was an Employee Yesterday...Leader Today, but Am I an Ethical Leader? Lisa Gross, Founder and CEO, ALESC - Agile Leadership and Ethics Strengthening Cultures Darren Hill, Director Ethics Business Conduct, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics
- Gain a deeper understanding of the basic roles, resources and fundamentals necessary to facilitate and manage an effective ethics and compliance risk management program.
- Explore the challenges, planning considerations and strategic solutions for implementing and leading effective ethics and compliance risk assessment processes.
- Consider real-world examples and scenarios that set the stage for identifying an organization's risk universe, prioritization efforts, and next steps for effective management and mitigation.
Ethics 102#P03P3: When Ethical People Make Unethical Decisions: Lessons, Reflections, and Takeaways from the Public Sector Jabu Sengova, Ethics Officer, City of Atlanta Ethics Office Carlos Santiago, Deputy Ethics Officer, City of Atlanta Ethics Office Jenna Wiese, Deputy Inspector General, Office of the State of Georgia Inspector General
- The difference between a leader and a manager and why this distinction is important to building and maintaining an ethical environment
- Discuss and share assimilation techniques to foster ethical culture and leadership
- Review case scenarios demonstrating good and bad ethical leadership and its impact to the company
Case Study 103#P04P4: The Practical Who, What, When, Why and How’s of Third Party Due Diligence & Monitoring James Lord, Consultant, Dow Jones Xavier Oustalniol, Partner, StoneTurn Andy Hinton, VP, Global Ethics & Compliance, Retired, Google
- See and hear real life stories of public sector employees whose ethical lapses resulted in ethics investigations as well as fraud and criminal prosecution
- Engage in an interactive and thoughtful discussion of the key factors that lead to unethical conduct and how "good" people go "bad"
- Gain insight into lessons learned and takeaways from the consequences and aftermath of poor ethical decision-making
International 104#P05P5: Advanced Conflict of Interest Risk & Disclosure Process Monica Reinmiller, Managing Counsel, Legal Compliance , T-Mobile Michael Volkov, CEO, Volkov Law Group LLC
- Creative approaches to preventing and detecting corruption through risk-based third party management
- Determining the right level of due diligence and identifying non-traditional sources of third party information
- Highly engaging use of real life hypotheticals to explore current issues and challenges in third party management around the globe
Lawyer 105#P06P6: Cyber Security Due Diligence: Will You Be the One to Save Your Company & CEO From Disaster? Charles Shugg, Partner | Chief Operating Officer, Sylint Group, Inc
- Identify heightened Conflict of Interest risks with public company Board service, Anti-trust and trade secret risks
- Develop a sustainable and ongoing review of high risk conflict disclosures
- Discuss Conflict of Interest best practices and guidance
IT 106#P07P7: 100+ Years of Business Ethics: Learn About the Future from Masters of the Profession Steven Priest, President, Integrity Insight International Carrie Penman, Chief Compliance Officer and Senior Vice President, Advisory Services, NAVEX Global Jeffrey Kaplan, Partner, Kaplan & Walker LLP Edward Petry, Ed Petry, Ph.D., Senior Advisor, NAVEX Global
- Discuss the importance and criteria for cyber security due diligence and how it affects corporate or organizational reputation damage, judicial punishment and senior executive careers
- Review case studies that highlight the lack of "reasonable" corporate cyber security due diligence regarding processes, assets and incident response actions
- Provide best practice guidance to improve senior executive awareness, reduce corporate risk and increase the likelihood of C-Staff career survival following a cyber security breach
General Compliance 107#P08P8: Investigations Workshop (Morning Session: Parts 1-3) Albert Gagne, Former Director, Ethics & Compliance, Retired Latour "LT" Lafferty, Partner, Holland & Knight Meric Bloch, Vice President, Global Investigations, Booking Holdings, Inc.
- "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Carrie Penman, Jeff Kaplan, Ed Petry and Steve Priest have worked internally and with clients for over 100 years. They have made a lot of mistakes and had quite a few successes.
- Steve will moderate--drawing out the most valuable lessons to help you navigate the challenges of 2020 and beyond
- This interactive session will answer your most pressing questions. No matter what your situation is, one of our panelists will most certainly have experienced something similar, and draw on their expertise to help you.
General Compliance 108
- Part 1: Beginning the Investigation and Interviewing the Reporter. This session addresses the importance for a formal Investigations Policy and focuses on intake fundamentals for getting as much information as possible from the reporter.
- Part 2: Planning the Investigation. This session will focus on determining the precise allegation and making the investigation plan and strategy for conducting the investigation.
- Part 3: This session will explore the critical role of document in the investigation process. Internal investigators should be able to identify and explain the purpose of documentary evidence.
10:15 AM - 10:30 AMNetworking Break Sunday
10:30 AM - 12:00 PMBreakout Sessions#P09P9: Effective E&C Risk Management -- Part 2: Operationalizing Risk Management and Taking your Practice to the Next Level Jim Urso, Assistant Vice President - Treasury SecOps & GRC, Federal Reserve IT Greg Triguba, Principal, Compliance Integrity Solutions
Risk 109#P10P10: Every Choice Has a Consequence Chuck Gallagher, President, Ethics Resource Group
- This session takes a deeper dive into effective risk management/mitigation strategies to include addressing challenges of maturing the Risk Management function and ensuring Risk Management concepts are encompassed as a part of day-to-day operations.
- Examine the pitfalls of an unincorporated Risk Management function, and how periodic "check the box" risk management exercises are the real risk to organizational success
- Discuss methods to successfully mature Risk Management functions, engage all levels of staff and leadership, and foster a Risk-conscious organization
Ethics 201#P11P11: Operationalizing Compliance Grace Wu de Plaza, Group Head of Ethics, Ferguson Hillah Culman, Risk Manager, Farmer Mac
- How easy it is for ethical people to make unethical choices and what to do about it.
- The impact of life’s choices and how that affects your performance, both personally and professionally.
- Real-world practical examples of how to use ethics and integrity to create success in business and life.
Ethics 202#P12P12: How to Dribble Corruption Risks in Latin America: Learn How to Avoid Faults, Penalty Kicks, and Score Compliance Goals Patricia Colombo, Director of Legal and Compliance, FUJIFILM do Brasil Emanuel Batista, Associate Managing Director, Kroll Isabel Simmerman, Ethics & Compliance Counsel, The AES Corporation
- Congratulations! The CEO agreed to implement your compliance initiative across the enterprise. Now what?
- In this session, compliance officers who have never developed a project management plan, found the thought of developing a plan overwhelming, or is interested in refining their project management skills will walk away with insights, next steps, and a
- The speakers will take attendees through a case study of how Farmer Mac's compliance department partnered with a project manager and leveraged a project management plan to implement its GRC system and to overhaul its policies and procedures framework
International 203#P13P13: The Happy Marriage between Legal and Compliance Donna Boehme, Principal, Compliance Strategists LLC Patrick Gnazzo, Principal, Better Business Practices Judith Nocito, Senior Advisor, Compliance Strategists
- 2019 Corruption Risks in Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, and Mexico: Gain insight into recent corruption headlines and their impact on local anti-corruption laws and the overall culture of compliance
- 365 Days Later - The role of new governments and their influence in compliance and Anti-Corruption and Bribery regulations and trends in Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, and Mexico and their impact to corporate governance. What you need to know to navigate
- Think Globally and Act Locally: What you need to know about your third parties in the region and the significance of due diligence in identifying and mitigating risks
Lawyer 204#P14P14: GDPR Compliance Post-Mortems: Lessons Learned from Facebook, Uber, and Others Scott Giordano, V.P. and Sr. Counsel, Privacy and Compliance, Spirion
- Join experts with "in the trenches" CCO experience in an engaging discussion of the respective roles and responsibilities for Compliance and Legal in your compliance program. The Partnership between these two functions should be strong and clearly defined
- Discussion will include: The evolution away from Compliance as a captive arm of Legal, How a strong partnership can support the mandates of both functions, and Mapping out the respective responsibilities and roles of the two sister functions.
- This unique and dynamic session is intended to clarify an area of much uncertainty and controversy over the past decade, and point the way to more productive working relationships. Bring your questions with you!
- In the nearly 18 months since the EU GDPR was brought into force, several well-known companies have been penalized by EU data protection authorities for misuse and loss of personal data.
- In this session, we w