Compliance Law Track
Saturday, September 14
08:30 AM - 12:00 PMSCCE's Annual Volunteer Project In additon to networking with your peers and listening to expert speakers, attending an SCCE Compliance & Ethics Institute gives you the opportunity to help a local area charity. Registration is free for this event and provides you with a volunteer t-shirt, lunch and transportation to and from the project location. It's a great way to start the CEI with fellow conference attendees, speakers, and SCCE board members.Networking 098
Sunday, September 15
08:44 AM - 12:00 PMPre Conference Morning Session100
08:45 AM - 10:15 AMBreakout Sessions#P05P5: Advanced Conflict of Interest Risk & Disclosure Process Monica Reinmiller, Managing Counsel, Legal Compliance , T-Mobile Michael Volkov, CEO, Volkov Law Group LLC
- Identify heightened Conflict of Interest risks with public company Board service, Anti-trust and trade secret risks
- Develop a sustainable and ongoing review of high risk conflict disclosures
- Discuss Conflict of Interest best practices and guidance
10:15 AM - 10:30 AMNetworking Break SundayNetworking
10:30 AM - 12:00 PMBreakout Sessions#P13P13: The Happy Marriage between Legal and Compliance Donna Boehme, Principal, Compliance Strategists LLC Patrick Gnazzo, Principal, Better Business Practices Judith Nocito, Senior Advisor, Compliance Strategists
- Join experts with "in the trenches" CCO experience in an engaging discussion of the respective roles and responsibilities for Compliance and Legal in your compliance program. The Partnership between these two functions should be strong and clearly defined
- Discussion will include: The evolution away from Compliance as a captive arm of Legal, How a strong partnership can support the mandates of both functions, and Mapping out the respective responsibilities and roles of the two sister functions.
- This unique and dynamic session is intended to clarify an area of much uncertainty and controversy over the past decade, and point the way to more productive working relationships. Bring your questions with you!
12:00 PM - 01:30 PMSunday Lunch (On Your Own). Braindates Time Need Ideas for lunch? Check in with the registration desk to find where to go to grab a quick bite or to mingle with old friends or new peers.Networking
01:00 PM - 04:45 PMPre Conference Afternoon Session200
01:30 PM - 03:00 PMBreakout Sessions#P21P21: Top 5 Compliance Risks when Contracting with the Federal Government Erica Geibel, Corporate Legal Counsel, Ethics and Investigations, Perspecta Inc. Stephen Knight, Partner, Smith Pachter McWhorter, PLC
- The federal government is unlike any other customer that a company can have, imposing complex compliance requirements on contractors.
- This discussion will focus on the major government contracting compliance challenges and how to address those challenges preemptively.
- The presenters will provide an overview of the significance of doing business on federal government money; the five greatest compliance risks affecting contractors; and a summary of significant legislative and regulatory developments in those areas.
03:00 PM - 03:15 PMNetworking BreakNetworking
03:15 PM - 04:45 PMBreakout Sessions#P29P29: Navigating the Minefield: Complying with a Patchwork of Lobbying and Ethics Laws Mitchell Pawluk, Senior Counsel - Significant Case Team, Walmart Joan Sullivan, Partner, Harris Beach
- When does meeting or communicating with government officials constitute reportable "lobbying"? And do I or my organization have to register as a "lobbyist"? Find out answers to these questions and how to best protect your organization.
- You're telling me lunch with a public official can be an illegal gift? What about attendance at a charitable event? When "that's how business is done" is no longer how business can be done. Learn more about the impact of government ethics laws.
- How to navigate the minefield that is the patchwork of federal, state, and local lobbying and ethics laws, and incorporate best practices in your organization.
Monday, September 16
07:00 AM - 08:00 AMContinental Breakfast, Exhibitor Networking and Braindates TimeNetworking
08:00 AM - 08:15 AMOpening Remarks and Awards PresentationGeneral Session
08:15 AM - 09:15 AMGeneral Session: From Crisis to an Electric Future: Inside the Cultural Transformation of One of the Largest Companies in the World. A Disscusion. Kurt Michels, Chief Compliance Officer, Volkswagen Group Matt Kelly, Editor & CEO, Radical Compliance -Starting a transformation in the aftermath of a crisis -Behind the scenes of Volkswagen’s cultural transformation: the strategies that drove the turnaround -Using a crisis to implement change: Lessons learned for compliance professionalsGeneral Session
09:15 AM - 10:00 AMNetworking Break with Exhibitors